Friday, August 15, 2014

My (initial) experience in learning two languages at the same time

A few weeks ago I was contemplating to start learning Italian amidst my learning French. Anyway, after reading some encouraging comments and experiences, I decided to start learning Italian a week ago and I thought I'd share my experience so far.

One of my concerns was the similarity between the two languages. I was worried that it would set me back. However, so far, I can say that my French benefits me instead in learning Italian. I struggled a little to get used to some differences, but nothing major. Just common challenges one usually finds when learning every language. I found that I was able to skip some grammar explanations that are similar to French and, instead, immediately focus on some details that requires more attention. I try to post one Italian notebook on italki every time I finished a lesson from my grammar book. These notebooks are filled with mistakes, which is not surprising, but at least I get to immediately put my Italian to use. It's something I wasn't able to do when I started learning French (since my previous language was English so I needed a lot of adjustments to switch from English to French). I also found a website that compares French and Italian, which comes in handy.

As for my French, I decided to put it aside for the moment. I still learn it but I mostly focus in Italian on daily basis. I learn French mainly on weekend. And because I've finished my French grammar book, most of the time I just try to practice by reading and writing.

In a nutshell, I'm glad that I don't have to start learning Italian from square one, thanks to my French. So I plan to continue learning this way while taking into account that I still have a long way to go and there are many things that need improvements. I thought I'd share my experience as a reference if anyone wants to try to learn more than one languages from the same roots, at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment